Medical Device Reprocessing Technician
Get The Details!
Become a Key Member of Medical Teams!
As a Medical Device Reprocessing Technician, you’re responsible for the decontamination, sterilization, assembly, inspection and storage of critical patient care equipment and instruments used in hospitals and operating rooms.
Gain a thorough understanding of medical and surgical equipment maintenance, a keen comprehension of microbiology, infection and decontamination procedures, and the proper packaging and sterilization of prepared equipment in twelve months.
At the end of your program, you will have the training and experience to enter the field as a Medical Device Reprocessing Technician (MDRT) with confidence.
Upon completion, graduates will have the option to pursue a career in the health services field as a Medical Device Reprocessing Technician, providing vital assistance to surgical and healthcare teams ensuring sanitation protocols and procedures are followed.
The best way to see if Maritime Business College is the right fit for you is to come and tour the school. You can tour our facilities and meet with students and instructors.
Our Medical Device Reprocessing Technician diploma program is recognized by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA)—the organization responsible for facilitating the MDRT certification exam! This means that they acknowledge that our program meets the educational requirements necessary to be successful in the field upon completion!
Receive Expert Training to Pursue your Career with ConfidenceAt Maritime Business College, we believe that learning doesn’t stop at the classroom. In addition to guest lectures, class projects, group work, presentations, and evaluation, the Medical Device Reprocessing Technician program includes 480 hours of preceptorship training in a real-world environment, allowing you to put your knowledge to the test under the guidance of industry professionals. This program will also help prepare you for the Canadian Medical Device Reprocessing Technician exam for national certification should you choose to pursue it.
What’s Covered in this Program?
Maritime Business College offers a modular learning system, allowing you to focus on each module individually before bringing everything together for your on-the-job training. Here are just a few examples of the courses you’ll cover:
- Introduction to Medical Device Reprocessing: Understand the role of an MDRT in the medical field, and what standards and practices are involved with the position. You’ll also learn how your role affects safety procedures, and learn about WHMIS and Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Medical and Basic Anatomy and Terminology: Learn the evolution of medical terminology, and basic anatomy such as the role of cells, tissues, organs and organ systems in the human body.
- Microbiology: In this module, students will be introduced to the history, concept and types of microbiology, and the environmental conditions necessary for bacterial and viral growth.
- Accountabilities and Professionalism in Health Care: Be informed about your legal responsibilities in the healthcare industry. This module teaches the concepts of total quality improvement, client relationship building, the different types of law governing the Canadian legal and healthcare systems, and more.
- Assembly and Classification of Instruments: Know the tools you use! In this modules, students will learn the purpose, temperature and humidity requirements of the assembly area; the classification and names of instruments; inspection and care in the handling of instruments; and more, so you have the confidence to handle all the tools in your profession.
- Decontamination and Disinfection: As an MDRT, you need to understand the importance of the decontamination area, such as: staff requirements for safety and attire in the decontamination area; the layout and design; essential elements, operative procedures and functions; the disinfection process and the tools and equipment required; and more.
- Infection Control/Transmission: Understand the chain of transmission of microorganisms that cause infection; the importance of personal hygiene; personal protective equipment (PPE) and the correct order of donning and removing PPE; the significance of infection prevention and control in medical device reprocessing; and more.
Is Medical Device Reprocessing Technician Right for You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in exploring whether Maritime Business College’s training programs are right for you, fill out the form on this page to receive more information.